Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Indoor Frisbee and other ways of filling dead spots

For those times we've all experienced: The program didn't show up or is running late; the program is bombing; the program didn't take as long as we thought, have an unusual activity or game always on the ready.
How to do the surprise:
Keep a list of easy to do games in mind or on paper. I try to always have a list of some old favorite and some new games on my agenda. For special events, I will have a number of Koosh balls stashed in various places ready to pull out and put to use. Another item I keep handy (I even keep one in my backpack while I am at meetings and conventions) is a rubber "spot" used for indoor games. These make, among other things, great indoor Frisbees. I can just pull it out and sail it across the circle to someone and the game is on.
What to Avoid:
  • Resorting to the games too quickly. There is a difference between a pause or a slow start to a program and a program that is falling flat.
  • Using the same activity too many times in a row
Variations:
On Retreats, etc. I always have my Retreat box available, as described on the Documents page which have a variety of handy props.

No comments:

Post a Comment