Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Toxic Charity #4.5: Making charity less toxic:

  • Try to sensitize the group, perhaps through role play, to not making comments that show how much money they have.
    • Such as: “I go to at least one big concert each month;” “I only buy my jeans from the best stores;” “I got a new car for graduation;” “after I get home, my family is taking a vacation to the Bahamas...”
    • Encourage your kids to listen more than they talk. Get them to ask questions of their new friends. (family, favorite music, do they play “football,” what is school like?) The less they talk about themselves the less they are likely to make their new friends feel inferior.

No comments:

Post a Comment