Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Monday, September 15, 2014

Being an ADD/ADHD youth worker #1: Introduction

Of course they didn't know there was such a thing as “ADD” when I was I kid. But I was the kid with ant in his pants and a short attention span. Much later, when reading the list of attributes of people with ADD I realized that they almost all applied to me. People often don't think in terms of adults having ADD but they have noticed how restless I am. The final stroke for my recognizing who I am was in a youth group meeting when a Sixth Grade Middle Schooler turned to me and commented: “Boy, you do have a short attention span.”

So in this series of posts I will be relaying my thoughts, research and personal experience about the advantages of being an ADD or ADHD youth worker.
  • As I tell my story, I will be relating what I learned, instinctively, about coping with the down sides and, eventually, what I learned about using it to my advantage.
  • Now, what I have to say may not always be politically correct or in keeping with current thinking or recommendations by the medical folk...
  • But it is an expression of what I've experienced in my own life and observed in so many children and youth, diagnosed and undiagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment