Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Being an ADD youth worker #12: We need to stop and calm down periodically

I once had a staff review that commented that I seemed to have two speeds -- 100 miles per hour or 0. If there's not enough stimulus, my choices are to get frantic or to go to sleep.
  • But in stimulating situations I and other ADD people start winding up tighter and tighter.
  • We need to plan in times to calm down and start over
  • We can do this ourselves and/or have others remind us
  • When we get too wound up it can drive everyone crazy, and we're more prone to making bad decisions.
  • I swim every noon hour that I can. It serves two purposes
    • Draws off excess energy
    • Reboots my system
  • Routine minute prayers can do this also
  • A minute away from everything can do it

No comments:

Post a Comment