Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Being an ADD/ADHD youth worker #2: A different definition


 Right off the bat I want to say that being ADD isn't the worst thing in the world. My father, an international corporation CEO, who was clearly ADHD and a nephew, a lawyer, who is clearly ADHD and I (only ADD), a minister, have done quite well, not only coping with our condition but making the most of it.
  • I do not consider being ADD either being a “deficit” nor a “disorder”
  • In fact, I feel that those people who only pay attention to one thing at a time have the attention deficit. If anything I have attention surfeit: I pay attention to way too many things – simultaneously. ADD people have a lot of attention.
  • ADD is a condition, not a disorder. It is like being left-handed. It is also a continuum, with some being more ADD and others less so.
  • ADD is a special condition which I consider to be a blessing although it sure can be annoying from time to time. But me and my nephew are grateful to my father for passing this on to us, genetically.
Bottom line, let's learn to accept ADD/ADHD and rather than trying to “Cure them” let's help them/us make good use of their special gift and minimize the down sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment