Subscribe label

Subscribe to the blog by selecting the level desired:

Follow by email

To receive email notices of posts give your email address here:

Scroller

Please share your comments. Let's get some conversations going.

Be sure to subscribe – either as an RSS feed or by the above email subscription

Share posts with others that might benefit from the post

Check the “Labels” list down the right hand side of this page that give general topics that have been commented on

Monday, September 22, 2014

Being an ADD/ADHD youth worker #3: Growing up ADD

By the time I was in HS I realized that I was different from other kids – even different from my sister, who could study for hours on end and practice the piano non-stop for an hour at a time. So many of my peers could pick an interest and stay with it, ignoring all the other REALLY INTERESTING things that got my attention, however briefly. I realized that I was becoming a Jack of all trades and master of none. That frustrated me to no end. I struggled mightily with this, trying to stay focused, trying to study for longer periods of time. For decades, I told myself that I could learn, over time, through practice, to stay focused on a subject for longer periods.
My basic attention span is about 15 minutes. I would try to boost this to ½ hour. Again and again I would try. No luck. Again and again I studied for about 15 minutes and then spend about 15 minutes trying to focus. What I finally learned is: You don't “overcome” being ADD. It is like being left-handed. So
  • People kept trying to make southpaws righties, but it never worked
  • You can't “cure” people of being ADD
  • and I don't know why you would want to
  • There is some real value to this condition, as I'll explain later
  • So it is a matter of the person with ADD learning how to cope in a world that doesn't understand them – like a left-handed person learning to cope with a right handed world
  • And those that have to live with an ADD person learning to cope with and tolerate their characteristics

No comments:

Post a Comment